Scaling Privacy Conversations
About This Training
Staff will practice how to scale their conversations with patrons about privacy issues depending on the amount of time they have to interact with the patron.
- Library staff will assess the amount of time they have with a patron and establish goals for their privacy conversation based on how much time they and the patron have.
This Training is Appropriate For
, , ,
Time Needed for TrainingLess than 30 minutes.
- Start by introducing the concept of personas using the “What is a Persona?” information sheet.
- Provide each staff member or each group a persona handout and its matching script to read.
- After the staff have had a chance to fully explore these materials, lead a discussion focusing on the following questions:
- How do you scale your explanation of the privacy issue depending on the amount of time you have with the patron?
- How do you set expectations with the patron after assessing the amount of time you are both able to spend on this?
- What would you do if you had 5 minutes to help the patron? What would be the key takeaways you want them to have? What would be different if you had 30 minutes? What if they have signed up for a regular course and are frequently at the library?
- What materials/resources would you direct the patron to so that they can learn more?
Using the persona and script for Julia, answer the following:
- What would you do if you had 5 minutes to help Julia? What would be the key takeaways you want her to have?
- E.g., Give her a handout or a link to our website to learn more.
- What would you do if you had half an hour?
- What if she’s signed up for a regular course and is frequently at the library?
- Help Julia determine her number one priority from this interaction:
- Is it really the password?
- Is it that she doesn’t know how to use Indeed to find jobs?
- Is it that she wants help with her resume?
- Help Julia understand the different affordances of using the smartphone vs the computer.
- Offer to get Julia on to a computer when she has more time:
- When explaining the features of Indeed, also explain the privacy concerns that come with uploading her resume to Indeed.